Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Paolo Di Canio sends a message to Sunderland fans

Welcome to the SAFC Forum and football lounge. You may chat about Sunderland AFC here together with any other footballing matters. Of course, the Black Cats are the main focus!
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Paolo Di Canio sends a message to Sunderland fans

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 08:20
Apparently all the players were unhappy with him.
You would have to provide proof of that.
Saying "all" is a big statement so you need to say it with some authority in order for it to have any credence.
Even then, I doubt if "all" would speak out against someone, especially those that wish to preserve their dignity as it could affect their futures in certain ways.
You mentioned O'Shea, I can't even remember him complaining.

Jenky
Local MP
Local MP

Re: Paolo Di Canio sends a message to Sunderland fans

Post by Jenky »

If I remember correctly he was hounded by the media for that picture even though he explained himself.
Another problem was that Sunderland still have many old fans who have deep-rooted political opinions and tend to make a lot of noise about it.
Most of those shut their mouths when Paolo Di Canio came after giving him the benefit of the doubt, while some continued their grievance.
Once we stagnated and fans became restless, that would opened up again.

We have seen football managers hounded out for all sorts of reasons but in Di Canio's case he got a double whammy.
I'm not sure about how much he lost the dressing room but no manager will be loved by all the staff.
The bloke was a decent manager and managed us with the sort of passion that we all want and he recalls his time here well in this video.

Sunderland's turnover with managers is alarming, some will be worthy of a sacking, but some will have been decent managers with no resources to shine.
I don't think we should have got rid of Di Canio because he was one of the good ones in my opinion.
If ever there was a case of kicking politics out of football, this is it.

Kick the loudmouths out of footy!