Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

The Iconic Bridge - scrapped

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

The Iconic Bridge - scrapped

Post by Jackal »

SUNDERLAND’S dream of an iconic bridge across the Wear has been formally brought to an end.

Ruling cabinet members at Sunderland City Council agreed to end the procurement process to build designer Stephen Spence’s bridge, which would have been England’s tallest at 187 metres.

The design proved too expensive, and neither Northern Ireland-based contractor Graham or Vinci of France were able to submit a tender within the £118million budget.

Senior councillors agreed to enter into a new tender process for a simplified cable-stayed design, which will be built within the original timescale and in the same location.

Councillor John Kelly told the meeting, held at the civic centre yesterday: “I think it’s extremely pertinent that the authority does live within its means, and, whilst the iconic bridge would have been a fantastic achievement within the city, we can’t spend public money on things that are not affordable.”

However, engineer Alan Brown, who works for Leeds-based Trafalgar Marine Technology, which builds laminated concrete systems for marine structures, claims he may be able to help Wearside realise its dream of an iconic bridge.

Mr Brown, who was at the cabinet meeting, says his employers have written to council leader Paul Watson, outlining a proposal using more affordable materials, which he says would be achievable within the original budget.

“We propose to use a different concrete and steel structure than what was originally proposed,” Mr Brown told the Echo after the meeting.

“For that, we need to be involved with the designers, but it’s all about intellectual property rights.

“I would like to see the original one go up – the original design. It reflects the opinion of the Sunderland people – they all like it.

“We don’t want a concrete plank across the Wear.”

He added: “It’s obviously too difficult for them to put it up within the budget, but it’s all about the materials. The biggest problem is putting these towers in the middle of the river – that’s where we can help.”

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busi ... -1-5864478

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Re: The Iconic Bridge - scrapped

Post by Jools »

Big shame really.

This city promises so much but delivers nothing.

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Jools wrote:Big shame really.

Correct, what happened to the biggest tower block in the north east go as well?
We did get the fountain at Seaburn and the ambit.
Congratulations Sunderland council .... you are shit for delivering shit.

What was that you said again?
Bystander
Candidate
Candidate

Post by Bystander »

I did read somewhere that it has already cost £15m in fees so far.
These people or the Sunderland council responsible for spending our money need scrapping.
For £15m we could get a footbridge from Deptford to the Stadium of Light which would alleviate the pressure on the Wheatsheaf during match days. This, in turn, would open up Deptford quite a bit and maybe stimulate that area which is really a forgotten place in Sunderland.

Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

Jools wrote:Big shame really.

^ This.

The councillors and MP's who have been elected in Sunderland are a disgrace to this city.

monty
Local MP
Local MP

Post by monty »

Apparently you would have been able to see it from the wonga stadium. That would have really rubbed their noses in it.

Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jools »

monty wrote:Apparently you would have been able to see it from the wonga stadium. That would have really rubbed their noses in it.
Imagine sticking a flag on the top of the iconic bridge with NUFC 0-3 SAFC on it :lol:

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
Light Brigade
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Light Brigade »

monty wrote:Apparently you would have been able to see it from the wonga stadium. That would have really rubbed their noses in it.
Only the very top.

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

What a shocking waste of public money. Fifteen or sixteen million pounds of taxpayers money on fees so far. What about those that were wined an dined on the slate too. We should make them account for every penny.

Mawsey
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Mawsey »

shit i was lookin forward to crossing it