Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Queen Alexandra bridge to close to southbound traffic for 11 weeks from Monday

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Queen Alexandra bridge to close to southbound traffic for 11 weeks from Monday

Post by Sunderland Nut »

I still don't know what road is going to be permanently closed but surely they will not be blocking the road down the bank past the retail park?
If you do mean that one then it means a right old trek getting onto the new dual carriageway from the retail park area.

Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Re: Queen Alexandra bridge to close to southbound traffic for 11 weeks from Monday

Post by Trish »

It's been a nightmare living in the area and getting about sometimes.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Trish wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 19:51 It's been a nightmare living in the area and getting about sometimes.
You'll get by, I am sure :lol:

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 21:34
Trish wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 19:51 It's been a nightmare living in the area and getting about sometimes.
You'll get by, I am sure :lol:
It's a lot easier having two routes to get to that bridge, rather than one, surely? It's the ease of convenience, and to avoid bottlenecks and jams. It's pretty stupid to close that road imo

Alison
Active Citizen
Active Citizen

Post by Alison »

This hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be but I'll be glad when it's finished.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Alison wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:11 This hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be but I'll be glad when it's finished.
Remember the days before the Northern Spire and then the Queen Alexandra Bridge shut :o

Alison
Active Citizen
Active Citizen

Post by Alison »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:04
Alison wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:11 This hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be but I'll be glad when it's finished.
Remember the days before the Northern Spire and then the Queen Alexandra Bridge shut :o
Yes I do and the traffic on the town bridge was just too much.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Alison wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 15:35
Sunderland Nut wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:04

Yes I do and the traffic on the town bridge was just too much.
I know and it doesn't take much to clog the place up either so hopefully we don't get a repeat of those days with the new bridge open.
Up to now I've remembered the QAB being shut going south and I've planned for the journeys OK.

Mawsey
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Mawsey »

There was a definite need for a new bridge over the river but whether the Northern Spire is in the right place is debatable. There's a lot less congestion around the place now.