For Mackems, Wearsiders and SAFC supporters since 2013

Sunderland Illuminations 2015

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland obviously includes, Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
monty
Local MP
Local MP

Post by monty » 29 Sep 2015, 13:31

Get ready for more illuminations in Sunderland. They are going to be switched on from Saturday 26th of September 2015 and will run for five weeks until Sunday 1st November mainly around Roker Park, Cliffe Park and the seafront all the way up to Seaburn.

There will be lots of traffic congestion in the seafront areas and there will be park and ride buses laid on.

The weekends will be the busiest with many attractions including the usual Alice in Wonderland theme which has connections to Sunderland. Lewis Carroll who wrote the book stayed in Sunderland on many occasions and it was once said that the title was going to be Alice In Sunderland but that was never confirmed. Even if it was it is doubtful that the book would have been as bigger a success than it was.

Wiki - Alice in Wonderland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%27s ... Wonderland

Wiki page for Alice in Sunderland which was a book by Bryan Talbot that exposes the link between Lewis Carroll and the Sunderland area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Sunderland

The coloured fountains in Roker Park, Sunderland:

Nockya
Local MP
Local MP

Re: Sunderland Illuminations 2015

Post by Nockya » 29 Sep 2015, 14:14

Roker Park was very busy on Saturday. It was rubbing shoulders all night and you couldn't get stirred. Still, looking at the wonder on the kids faces they all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Traffic was bad as well but that should be expected with that many people visiting the place.

If anyone hasn't been down this year, make a trip down there because the fair ground is open and there it a big wheel on the seafront. Apparently its the fastest on earth so I have heard although I never saw it move. I expect with all the seats to be filled it would take a long time to prepare.

Well done Sunderland City Council for brightening the place up and entertaining the public.

Stooge
Active Citizen
Active Citizen

Post by Stooge » 29 Sep 2015, 14:40

Its always good to see the illuminations up but the last few years' Sunderland Illuminations don't match those of say 20 years ago or so. I am not complaining but just making a sound observation because they obviously are attracting people down to the Roker and Seaburn areas in great numbers.

Sunderland Nut
Mayor
Mayor

Post by Sunderland Nut » 29 Sep 2015, 15:13

I took the kids down to Roker Park for the illuminations and they spent a small fortune on them things that light up. We went home looking sparklingly bright and flashing :lol:
The car was a miniature illuminations band wagon :mrgreen:
Well done Sunderland council for this years showing.

cam
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by cam » 29 Sep 2015, 15:28

The Roker Ravine area is looking really good. The little children of Sunderland are enjoying the Roker Park illuminations. My lot were wondering what was going on :lol:

I might have the day off today!

Gambling Man
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Gambling Man » 29 Sep 2015, 15:50

The Sunderland illuminations are class.
The people that Sunderland can attract with these events are phenomenal.
Its just a shame there are not more things for the visitors to spend their money.
I am talking about attractions that should be there all year round who get a boost when the illuminations and air shows etc are on.

That would tie in with the regeneration of Seaburn - lets hope they get that up and running too.

Bystander
Candidate
Candidate

Post by Bystander » 30 Sep 2015, 11:45

I have saw the illuminations again this year and would agree that they are only a fraction of what we all witnessed a few decades ago. In these days of cutbacks they certainly skimped on the Sunderland illuminations in comparison with previous years.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig » 30 Sep 2015, 13:19

I see they still had the football illumination :lol:
Must be one of the only ones they kept.
That's the one where there is one player on either side of the roar passing a ball to each other.
The Sunderland illuminations have attracted many people in to spend their money, a few more illuminations would be better.

What was that you said again?

wongeye
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by wongeye » 30 Sep 2015, 16:37

Aye the lights might not be as good but did we need to burn so much electricity?
I think they could have been better like but wouldn't like the electric bill :lol:

Sandy Mackem
Sunderland Supporter
Sunderland Supporter

Post by Sandy Mackem » 30 Sep 2015, 16:52

As long as the children enjoy themselves its really not all about adult entertainment. I see happy kids down there but hear some negative comments from adults. There's not a lot of moaning from the grown ups but I wish they would shut up :?