Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

The Bridges Shopping Centre Expansion Plans #1

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Bus Driver
Local MP
Local MP

Re: The Bridges Shopping Centre Expansion Plans #1

Post by Bus Driver »

We should be grateful that while many town centres are dying off because of internet shopping Sunderland has certain expansion plans. The artist impression of the new building looks a tad bland like.

Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

Imagine the Bridges Shopping Centre taking over the High Street and Blandford Street after they complete the Crowtree phase. Now that would be awesome.

Jammy Dodger
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by Jammy Dodger »

With Sunderland being an old city there's not a lot you can do except build or rebuild in phases. Its not like they could have demolished the lot and start again. I think Sunderland City Centre is good actually. No doubt the new "unnamed" store will brighten the lives up of some.

Light Brigade
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Light Brigade »

Nockya wrote:Imagine the Bridges Shopping Centre taking over the High Street and Blandford Street after they complete the Crowtree phase. Now that would be awesome.
The extensions could easily be made but the businesses involved would be a bit stubborn and reluctant to help unless a lot of money was involved. I like the idea of both indoor and outdoor shopping though. You have to admit those indoor shopping centres are rubbish in the summer months. In the winter they are ok but then you have to travel to them. Sunderland City Centre has it all for me. We have indoor and outdoor shopping, markets, street stalls and many attractions. I have never really had to go elsewhere to do my shopping. I get into town, do the business and get back home as quick as I can. I hate shopping really but it has to be done and I think Sunderland provides it all for me.