Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Hospitals Parking Scheme Operating Without Permission

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Hospitals Parking Scheme Operating Without Permission

Post by Trish »

ParkingEye, the company behind the parking scheme in Sunderland hospitals, has not had planning permission to operate which it has done since 2011.
They are seeking retrospective planning permission for the equipment used at the Sunderland Children's Hospital on Durham Road.

There has been another application to retain the system at Sunderland Eye Infirmary in Queen Alexandra Road.
A third application is expected as well to cover the one in place at Sunderland Royal Hospital in Kayll Road.

At the time of installation it is understood that the City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation trust, that runs the sites say it and the firm was “not made aware” that planning permission was necessary.

It seems that because there was no planning permission given, these schemes have been operating illegally.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-regio ... -1-8103309

blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Re: Hospitals Parking Scheme Operating Without Permission

Post by blockheed »

Hold on a moment!
The NHS hospitals were not aware that planning permission was needed?
The company that operates the scheme wasn't aware either?
Do these people think they can just do what they like - very strange!

Mawsey
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Mawsey »

I can't see how Sunderland hospitals or that dreaded ParkingEye have got away with this for so long.
Apparently they have made this blunder nationwide.
Would that mean that all the fines dished out should be returned?

Sandy Mackem
Sunderland Supporter
Sunderland Supporter

Post by Sandy Mackem »

Mawsey wrote: Would that mean that all the fines dished out should be returned?
They are not parking fines!
They are parking charges usually shortened to PCN or Parking Charge Notices.
When you get them they look official and look like a fine but they are most definitely not!
They will say something like pay £40.00 within two weeks and if you don't you will have to pay £70.00 so most people pay the £40.00 and be done.
It is a scare tactic!

Where these parking companies operate like supermarkets and hospitals you can ask the manager to cancel them if you have a genuine excuse.
In the case of a hospital for example if you stay over the allotted time limit for any delay in the appointment system etc.

These parking charge companies can operate legally but their charges are excessive and are morally wrong!
They can charge you but this should be for a reasonable fee.
They can chase you for this but not 'fine' you.
They can only pursue you for any losses that the land owner has 'suffered'.

Here is how you avoid paying these stupid parking charge notices if you have no other excuse.
1) When you get the parking charge notice - try speaking to the land owner where you parked first - they can get the charges overturned.
2) DO NOT IGNORE THEM - if you do they could end up becoming a real bill that you have to pay, they do this by issuing a court summons and if you ignore that then you know the result.
3) APPEAL!

Here is an example of what you could write:

Re: Parking Charge Reference number xxxx xxxx Vehicle registration: xxxxx xxxx
I am the registered keeper of the above vehicle and have received a demand from you.
I dispute owing you any amount and deny all liability in this matter. Please accept this letter as a formal appeal under your appeals process.
The basis of my appeal is:
1. The amount you have claimed is not a genuine pre-estimate of any loss to either Parking Eye or the car park landowner.
2. The signs in your car park fail to comply with your Accredited Trade Association’s Code of Practice
3. No contract was formed with the driver due to the fact that your signs were was not sufficiently brought to the attention of the driver.
4. ParkingEye is not the landowner and therefore Parking Eye does not have the right to enter into a contract with a driver nor does Parking Eye have the right to bring a claim for trespass.

Please confirm in writing whether you accept my appeal and withdraw your demand. If you reject my appeal, please provide the following particulars:

1) The basis of your charge (i.e. contract breach, trespass or contractual fee).
If you are alleging breach of contract, I require a breakdown of the liquidated damages you claim were suffered, and by whom, and how each particular loss arose.
If you are alleging trespass please enclose evidence of the alleged perpetrator and proof of the liquidated damages alleged and the calculation of this sum.
If you alleging a “contractual fee” I request a VAT invoice from you and ask you to explain the daily rate for parking and service provided for that fee.

2) Please also advise the amount of money you would have received from the driver of my vehicle should the alleged contract have been met to your satisfaction.
3) Please advise the name and address of the landowner.
4) Please provide a POPLA code that allows me to appeal to POPLA*

If ParkingEye rejects my appeal: please do not contact me again with more demands as I deny owing Parking Eye any money and deny that any driver of my vehicle has entered into a contract with you. Any legal action you initiate against me will be defended.

Yours sincerely,

(the registered keeper’s signature)
(the registered keeper’s name)

POPLA is the place to go should ParkingEye rejects your appeal - find POPLA here - https://popla.co.uk/

red ken
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by red ken »

Does the above work though :red_lol:

Rat Scabies
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Rat Scabies »

red ken wrote:Does the above work though :red_lol:
Yes it does.
I got a parking charge from Parkingeye after my car broke down in Aldi, St Marks Road and they sent me one.
I found a template on the internet similar to the one posted in this thread and they sent a letter back saying my account has been closed.
For starters I never had an account with them :red_lol:

I had a quick look to see if I could find the link to the template I used but couldn't find it.
Maybe its worth your while looking for it but it does work if those are the words I should use because they shouldn't have acted like bully boys in the first place.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Shame on the higher ups in the hospital.
More shame on the companies that have been allowed to implement such schemes.
Should the get their retrospective planning permission then shame on the council.

What was that you said again?
Stokoe
Sunderland Supporter
Sunderland Supporter

Post by Stokoe »

Make sure when you talk to those people you send your letters by recorded delivery.

The track suit manager
cam
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by cam »

All those that were penalised by this system that has been used illegally should have their money returned before any planning permission.
Disgrace!

I might have the day off today!