Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Pavement parking could be banned in England

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Re: Pavement parking could be banned in England

Post by Trish »

Steve30000 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 15:45
Trish wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 12:32

:cheers:

My kids are up now but those streets near the post office on Chester Road always caused me loads of grief. Anyone who thinks they need to park on the pavement there are wrong. They don't.
Do you drive?
Yes 4x4 for business purposes.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Trish wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 15:48
Steve30000 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 15:45

Do you drive?
Yes 4x4 for business purposes.
If all those cars in that street parked on the road, no emergency vehicle could get down there.

People don't park slightly on the path for the crack, there's a genuine reason for it. As a driver, you should be aware of this problem.

Then those same people would be kicking off saying "an ambulance couldn't get down my street"

Well, I wonder why.. Inconsiderate drivers, or common sense?

Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Post by Trish »

Steve30000 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 15:54
People don't park slightly on the path for the crack, there's a genuine reason for it. As a driver, you should be aware of this problem.
There's loads of room.
Next time you are up on Chester Road go and see.
Not all cars park on the pavement - maybe 50/50 or less and there's never a problem for emergency vehicles.
I use them many times a day back and forth 7 days a week in my massive SUV :lolboard:

I am not sure what the issue is or what you are saying really just that it's not necessary to park on the path up that way and the ONLY people to suffer are the blind, the elderly and people with children and buggies etc.
In other words, the vulnerable and I should know because many years ago I walked the same route many times a day 7 days a week with a buggy.
The councillors are aware of the pavement blockers but do nothing.
If we had problems with emergency vehicles they would highlight it but there's no problems apart from forcing the vulnerable on the road (on occasions - not all the time).

Bus Driver
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Bus Driver »

Trish wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 16:26
There's loads of room.
I rarely have problems in my bus regardless of where people park.
Here's what I have noticed in the Millfield area near Aldi and further up Trish.

St Marks Road - can just about get two cars passed but not a large vehicle and a car. In this road, check for broken door mirrors. I counted 3 last time I went to Aldi.

Sorley Street and Eldon Street areas - only one vehicle can pass at the time and I never see a broken door mirror.

Conclusion - it's all an illusion. St Marks Road is not safe to park even though they have parts of the road set aside for parking.
Meanwhile in the top streets further, up it's much safer to park and no you don't need to park on the pavement up there and it's still kinder on your door mirrors.

So, considering there doesn't seem to be an issue with ambulances of fire engines, then why park on the pavement up there?
The only conclusion I can give is that inconsiderate car drivers think more about their precious little door mirrors and to hell with those who need the pavement most.

Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jools »

This is turning into a local issue, say so and I can move to the City Lounge @Steve30000

I had my mirror slightly damaged one day.
It was just a slight scuff mark though, I can't remember where this happened.

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

thingamajig wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 16:53 I thought this was already illegal and has been for years.
I never park on the pavement ever.
It is in London full stop, this does go back to the day when cars were forcibly pushed back on the road by residents in the 1970s.
However, elsewhere it can be illegal or it might not be, confused?
Just don't cause an obstruction :thumbup:

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Steve30000 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 15:54
There's loads of room.
Not all cars park on the pavement - maybe 50/50 or less and there's never a problem for emergency vehicles.
I use them many times a day back and forth 7 days a week in my massive SUV :lolboard:

I am not sure what the issue is or what you are saying really just that it's not necessary to park on the path up that way and the ONLY people to suffer are the blind, the elderly and people with children and buggies etc.
In other words, the vulnerable and I should know because many years ago I walked the same route many times a day 7 days a week with a buggy.
The councillors are aware of the pavement blockers but do nothing.
If we had problems with emergency vehicles they would highlight it but there's no problems apart from forcing the vulnerable on the road (on occasions - not all the time).
There's not much room on that road at all.. 🙄

You obviously don't mind getting your car hit by another motorist struggling to get down that road.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Bus Driver wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 17:02
There's loads of room.
I rarely have problems in my bus regardless of where people park.
Here's what I have noticed in the Millfield area near Aldi and further up Trish.

St Marks Road - can just about get two cars passed but not a large vehicle and a car. In this road, check for broken door mirrors. I counted 3 last time I went to Aldi.

Sorley Street and Eldon Street areas - only one vehicle can pass at the time and I never see a broken door mirror.

Conclusion - it's all an illusion. St Marks Road is not safe to park even though they have parts of the road set aside for parking.
Meanwhile in the top streets further, up it's much safer to park and no you don't need to park on the pavement up there and it's still kinder on your door mirrors.

So, considering there doesn't seem to be an issue with ambulances of fire engines, then why park on the pavement up there?
The only conclusion I can give is that inconsiderate car drivers think more about their precious little door mirrors and to hell with those who need the pavement most.
Some drivers door mirrors are electric, and cost more to replace. You obviously don't mind people damaging your car.

Bus Driver
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Bus Driver »

Steve30000 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 20:00
Some drivers door mirrors are electric, and cost more to replace. You obviously don't mind people damaging your car.
That's just silly that. Of course we all mind that. But if crap drivers don't know how to drive that's their problem.
As I said you're more likely to suffer damage on St marks road than the top narrow streets where there's no problem.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Crawford wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 18:08
thingamajig wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 16:53 I thought this was already illegal and has been for years.
I never park on the pavement ever.
It is in London full stop, this does go back to the day when cars were forcibly pushed back on the road by residents in the 1970s.
However, elsewhere it can be illegal or it might not be, confused?
Just don't cause an obstruction :thumbup:
I must admit I am confused.
If it's illegal that's it isn't it?

What was that you said again?