Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Landline telephones to be axed by 2025

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Landline telephones to be axed by 2025

Post by Steve30000 »

red ken wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 11:52 This is something I hadn't gave much thought to but having a wire into your home to connect to the internet or making a phone call does seem a little silly nowadays :lol:
It's really odd having wires around your house so you can switch the lights and telly on an that.... 🤪

Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jackal »

gelan wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 15:16 I've lived in my current home for 5 years but only got mobile reception a month ago...plenty of places local that are still without mobile reception.
Maybe they will go all out and sort that problem before the big switch off.

I would imagine that pressure groups will ensure that emergency services are accessible to all in some way.

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Jackal wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 19:33
I would imagine that pressure groups will ensure that emergency services are accessible to all in some way.
If I remember rightly when BT took over they had to provide at least one phone in a specified area (I can't remember what but I think it was half a mile).
I doubt that this rule has been changed so they will still have to keep people connected somehow, even in remote areas.

Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 04:47
If I remember rightly when BT took over they had to provide at least one phone in a specified area (I can't remember what but I think it was half a mile).
I doubt that this rule has been changed so they will still have to keep people connected somehow, even in remote areas.
If that's the case then the telecom people just need to wire up a phone box to a mobile phone signal, problem solved!