Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Amazing Facts

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Amazing Facts

Post by Nockya »

Amazing Facts

This thread is all about any amazing facts that you would like to tell other members about.
It could be about any subject or topic you like as long as it is a fact as you know it.
If you have proof that your statement is a fact then please feel free to post anything you have to back you up.

Here's mine but its just a simple one to start off with :mrgreen:

A bit of mathematics for you - 12+1 = 11+2, and "twelve plus one" is an anagram of "eleven plus two."

Frog
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Re: Amazing Facts

Post by Frog »

A man in the UK called Tim Price was so sick of being pestered by telephone marketing salespeople that he changed his name to Tim Pppppppppprice. He done this to make it harder for telemarketers to pronounce.

According to the Leicester Mercury in 2012 Tim Price, who is from Leicester, changed his name by deed pole.

Tim says “It’s pronounced Tim Per-per-per-per-per-per-per-per-per-per-rice,” he said. “I like it. I did it to put them off, all these people who keep calling me trying to sell me things I don’t want.

“I must be on some kind of list. God knows how – I’m ex-directory."

His theory was that when the telephone salesperson saw his name they would be put off and not attempt to contact him. Whether is has had the desired effect we don't know

Tim paid good money to change his name including £70 for the name change on his passport. However you can register with the TPS, the Telephone Preference Service, a regulatory body that can stop these marketing calls. That is free and to do that just call 0845 070 0707, or visit: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/chang ... story.html

http://metro.co.uk/2012/05/31/homeowner ... ce-451624/

Paper Terry

Post by Paper Terry »

Our Sun is what's called a Yellow Dwarf star.
It has a surface temperature of 5500 °C but in the centre it can reach 15 million degrees Celsius!

If the sun was just an empty sphere it could take up to 960,000 of our own Earth's.
If there was no wasted space ie the Earths were all squashed together then the Sun could swallow up 1,300,000.

One day our friendly Sun will become a Red Giant after it has used up all of its Hydrogen.
At this stage it will expand out and consume everything in its path right up to our own Earth.

Then, after it has gobbled up our Earth it will collapse on itself becoming a similar size to our own Earth and become a White Dwarf. It will still have its mass but will no longer shine like it once did after all of its Hydrogen fuel has all burned out.

The Sun is a middle aged star aged around 4.5 billion years that has used up around half of its fuel already.
It still has enough fuel to burn for the next 5 billion years so there is nothing to get too concerned about.

The most amazing thing I think is the speed at which the Sun is travelling - 220 kilometres per second!
Here's how we know that - the Sun is 24,000-26,000 light years from the galactic centre and it takes the Sun 225-250 million years to complete an orbit of the centre of the Milky Way.

If you think about it we human beings must be traveling at some speed because we orbit the Sun which travels at 220 km / second. Therefore we must be travelling much faster than that because we go around the Sun. Our galaxy, The Milky Way, is also travelling away from the centre of the Big Bang at great speen.

I will leave that for someone else to work out - how fast are human beings actually travelling?

http://space-facts.com/the-sun/

In a bit :arrow:
Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Post by Trish »

Hummingbirds are the only birds able to fly backwards.
I think they can do that as they are flying onto the flowers and back out again.
There now!

monty
Local MP
Local MP

Post by monty »

Apple seeds contain a cyanide compound.

:o

Cheesy Chips
Active Citizen
Active Citizen

Post by Cheesy Chips »

Every year your body replaces about 98% of its atoms.

Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jackal »

Sunderland AFC was the first team to score 100 goals in one season.

Take that!

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
Sandy Mackem
Sunderland Supporter
Sunderland Supporter

Post by Sandy Mackem »

Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life.
It has enzymes, vitamins and minerals.
It is the only food that contains "pinocembrin", an antioxidant associated with improved brain functioning.
So next time you see a jar of honey on the shelves at the shop - buy some!

On the same note, bees are the only insect that produces food eaten by man!

Spider
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by Spider »

Cats spend about two thirds of every day sleeping. That means if you have a cat aged 9 years old it has only been awake for three years of its life.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Mars has the highest mountain in our solar system.
It is called Olympus Mons which is 21km (13 miles) high.
Scientists believe it could still be active.