Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Sunderland's Shopping Secret Is Out!

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Paper Terry

Post by Paper Terry »

We have always known that the shops in Sunderland are packed with bargains. It has been Sunderland's best kept secret for decades.

A recent report now finds that Sunderland is top of the league for "value" or "bargain" shops. These include the various 99p stores or pound shops, certain fast food shops and charity outlets.

Its not that its a bad thing to have a mixture of good quality stores and value-type shops but there does appear to be far too many of these cheap shops now.

Link

In a bit :arrow:
cam
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Sunderland's Shopping Secret Is Out!

Post by cam »

There always has been cheap shops in Sunderland and not just in the town.

I might have the day off today!
Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jackal »

cam wrote:There always has been cheap shops in Sunderland and not just in the town.
We had one on Southwick Green but not sure what happened to it.

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

Sunderland as a regional shopping centre is not really blessed by its geographical location.

Being on the coast it was ideal for the heavy industry which relied on sea travel but the city centre is so close to the sea that there is no real sizable population on eastern side.

The cheap shops have indeed always been there and there will always be a always a market for them.

In order to thrive once more Sunderland will not only need money to be poured in there but a clear vision for the future.

Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jools »

I get loads of stuff from the pound shop. Why are people knocking the cheap shops?

Everything I get from those value shops work and are well worth it.

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
Mackem Lass
Sunderland Supporter
Sunderland Supporter

Post by Mackem Lass »

I wouldn't have Sunderland any other way. Why do the posh people snub the pound shops?

Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jackal »

Posh people lol.

Let the feckers fook off to the river sh!t and do their shopping for designer gear lol

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

ha ha ha you have to laugh at some folk:

https://wearsideonline.com/sunderland-s ... -bargains/

Mark Grimes from Sunderland Echo lol

"On a recent trip on the Metro from Newcastle, I observed well-dressed people with Fenwick, John Lewis and some designer shopping bags get off at East Boldon, Seaburn and Sunderland. By total contrast, people in tracksuits with bargain pounders, Primark and Wilko bags were getting on at Sunderland were getting on at Sunderland for their journeys to Millfield and Pallion.”

Mark rambles on ….

“Says it all, doesn’t it?”
“No wonder a lot of people I know head off to Newcastle to the classier shops to buy more decent goods, rather than live with the embarrassment of shopping in Sunderland.”

Well Mark Grimes from the posh end of East Herrington, Sunderland. I have to say to you that when you talked about getting on the Metro system after you got off you forgot to mention University Station. Have you never thought all those horrible people who shop in the cheaper shops could have been students?

Does Mark Grimes actually have considerably more money than most?

Is it a requirement to shop in a rival city when you have as much money as Mark Grimes?

Get a life. Start thinking about your city and stop giving all your money to a city and its people who hate you because of where you live.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ugly Kid Joanne
Voter
Voter

Post by Ugly Kid Joanne »

That's a good kick in the teeth for his own people. I saw that letter, what a cheek!

Bystander
Candidate
Candidate

Post by Bystander »

Well you know I don't mind shopping in any shop be it pound shops or charity shops. Sunderland is not too much of an affluent city so you expect cheaper shopping. That was always the secret here in Sunderland.

What's important to realise is that Sunderland is still a bustling city, 80% of the shops are not in the "value" bracket and we still have some of the cheapest "good value" shops. But don't tell anyone as it still is our little secret.