Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Wessington Way 50mph Limit!

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Cheesy Chips
Active Citizen
Active Citizen

Wessington Way 50mph Limit!

Post by Cheesy Chips »

I just noticed the speed limit on Wessington Way leading up to the Northern Spire has gone down to 50mph.
It used to be 70mph before so what's going on here?
And what's worst is that EVERY time I travel on that road I have to stop at the traffic lights next to the new bridge.
This has happened twice a day for months.
Rather than speed up the traffic flow, the Northern Spire has slowed us down on Wessington Way and then an almost guaranteed stop.
If this still happens when the bridge opens then I think they never thought things through enough for that road system.

Jammy Dodger
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Re: Wessington Way 50mph Limit!

Post by Jammy Dodger »

Cheesy Chips wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:06 EVERY time I travel on that road I have to stop at the traffic lights next to the new bridge.
I have noticed this too.
They are saying the 50mph speed limit is to regulate the flow of traffic in that area.
The bridge will eventually save people time and money but for the time being we will have to put up with the stops.
Anyway, does anyone know when the Northern Spire will open cos they said Spring 2018 and we are on the approach to Autumn now!

blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

There was enough room at that junction to keep Wessington way and the Northern Spire free-flowing. They just skimped on the bridge (remember the horned bridge) and the system itself. Adding traffic lights like this was always going to frustrate drivers. Many places in the world are looking to get rid of traffic lights.

Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jackal »

So, from what I understand that system has gone down to 50mph with a guaranteed stop at the lights :oops:
Sounds like its a step backwards for some who don't use the bridge.

Jammy Dodger wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:43 Anyway, does anyone know when the Northern Spire will open
They now say late August.

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

Well they can't complain about the weather this time.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Can't wait for the new bridge to open because it would save me a heck of a load of time even if Wessington Way has a 50mph speed limit.

Frog
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by Frog »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 02:02 Can't wait for the new bridge to open because it would save me a heck of a load of time even if Wessington Way has a 50mph speed limit.
Yes, too many moaning about the way the system is right now but I am sure we will all cope once the Northern Spire opens later this month 8-)