Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Selling Naming Rights To The Stadium Of Light

Welcome to the SAFC Forum and football lounge. You may chat about Sunderland AFC here together with any other footballing matters. Of course, the Black Cats are the main focus!
Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

Well, Sunderland Association Football Club is finally going all out to sell the naming rights for the stadium.
Now then, when Bob Murray created SoL all those years ago, he said that this could happen in the future.
But, apparently a name would be added to the front ie, the Nissan Stadium of Light etc.

So, the name is an ideal name that doesn't need to be changed but can have an addition.
Very clever indeed so hopefully our new owners keep that in mind.

Here is the clubs advert.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Selling Naming Rights To The Stadium Of Light

Post by Sunderland Nut »

I am not shocked at this because we are now scraping the barrel a little while we are in this position.
As long as the club keeps the Stadium of Light in the name it will be acceptable.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Well I like the name Stadium of Light so I hope they don't change it too much.
Remember this club plays on the old Wearmouth Colliery and we have no right whatsoever to disrespect the original ideas which was to honour those who worked there, was injured there and those that died there.
The Stadium of Light is all about the Davy Lamp lights used in the pits.
If they remove that name, honest I am out for good and I will lose all respect for anyone involved in those sort of changes.
Maybe the higher ups with a say in this should have a word with Bob Murray or others who matter.

What was that you said again?
Zook
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Zook »

Never agreed with the stadium name. It's already someone's ground name. A poor poor choice initially, lack of opportunism and fore thought. If naming rights generate money and not go into the "Donald and Co" savings club then it's fine by me... He already owes the club £25 million from paying off Ellis short with the clubs parachute payment... I wonder if he/they pay that back on completion of the takeover.... Lol... Will they fuck... Nowt but a quick money making scheme... I want them out completely before they embellish anymore of our money... (censored) rogues...

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Zook wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 00:20 I want them out completely before they embellish anymore of our money.
A quick buck is OK really but only if they get us back where we belong. Can you imagine if we had the money Man City or Chelsea have - there must be more money to be made in that grand scheme of things.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Zook wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 00:20 It's already someone's ground name. A poor poor choice initially, lack of opportunism and fore thought.
:o :o

Did you read my post? It's all about the coal mining days and if Sunderland AFC can't get by without the few bob they'd get on the naming rights then this club is in serious trouble.
Rather than dishonouring the people who worked in the pits they should think about raising money in other ways.
To be honest, I can't see them doing this anyway but I would never forgive them if they do.

Zook
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Zook »

thingamajig wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 11:37
Zook wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 00:20 It's already someone's ground name. A poor poor choice initially, lack of opportunism and fore thought.

Did you read my post? It's all about the coal mining days and if Sunderland AFC can't get by without the few bob they'd get on the naming rights then this club is in serious trouble.
Rather than dishonouring the people who worked in the pits they should think about raising money in other ways.
To be honest, I can't see them doing this anyway but I would never forgive them if they do.
If we can sell the naming rights and create a few jobs for the locals would you then see it as a way forward then... I can't see anything other than been good for the club if we could generate monies via selling the naming rights. Benfica would be happy also... 🤣... Only if the monies were put into the club and not "Donald and Co's) pockets, again, like the parachute payments last year...

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Zook wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 12:07
thingamajig wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 11:37

If we can sell the naming rights and create a few jobs for the locals would you then see it as a way forward then... I can't see anything other than been good for the club if we could generate monies via selling the naming rights. Benfica would be happy also... 🤣... Only if the monies were put into the club and not "Donald and Co's) pockets, again, like the parachute payments last year...
Well, I have no problems with selling the naming rights to the stadium. If you remember it was named with sponsorship in mind but up to now the option was never taken up. You just add the sponsor to the front ie 'Whatever Company' Stadium Of Light. It really is that simple but I don't think they should drop the name of the stadium. At the end of the day you just can't sell all the family silver.

As for Benfica, well the KNICKNAME of their stadium is Estádio da Luz which translates into English as the Stadium of Light BUT that is the unofficial name. The official name of their stadium is - Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica. No light in there at all.

Our nickname is the Black Cats but we are SAFC officially.

Therefore, there is only one official stadium in the world called the Stadium of Light so it is a unique name and we should keep it intact. It reflects the history of not only the site that it stands on but of the whole coal mining history of the Durham coalfields or the north east in general.

Hope I convinced you zook :lolboard:

Bus Driver
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Bus Driver »

thingamajig wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 13:36 If you remember it was named with sponsorship in mind but up to now the option was never taken up.
I second that and remember that period of time like it was yesterday. The club got by without the need for a sponsor thank God above. Imagine our sacred ground having the name of a corporation like some that did or do exist like these:

01) Britannia Carpets Stadium (Northwich Victoria)
02) Bargain Booze Stadium (Northwich Victoria)
03) KitKat Crescent (York City)
04) Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium (Dumbarton)
05) Bet 365 Stadium (Stoke City)
06) King Power Stadium (Leicester City)
07) Etihad Stadium (false football club in Manchester)
08) Sports Direct Arena (Scum)

The list goes on so I would not want to lose the identity or heritage of this magnificent club to a sponsor.

Zook
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Zook »

thingamajig wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 13:36
Zook wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 12:07

Well, I have no problems with selling the naming rights to the stadium. If you remember it was named with sponsorship in mind but up to now the option was never taken up. You just add the sponsor to the front ie 'Whatever Company' Stadium Of Light. It really is that simple but I don't think they should drop the name of the stadium. At the end of the day you just can't sell all the family silver.

As for Benfica, well the KNICKNAME of their stadium is Estádio da Luz which translates into English as the Stadium of Light BUT that is the unofficial name. The official name of their stadium is - Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica. No light in there at all.

Our nickname is the Black Cats but we are SAFC officially.

Therefore, there is only one official stadium in the world called the Stadium of Light so it is a unique name and we should keep it intact. It reflects the history of not only the site that it stands on but of the whole coal mining history of the Durham coalfields or the north east in general.

Hope I convinced you zook :lolboard:
Sadly not bud. Benfica's ground is known as "the stadium of light" another example is west ham... Their ground is officially (well was) "the Ann boleyn ground but its again was better known as" Upton park".... The stadium should never of been copied, who on earth would do that? A commercial outlook should of been adopted initially, it's no good now, it would be better served waiting for a wider audience in at least the championship... Let Common sense prevail, it's basic business sense in terms of a deal, a 4 year contract for instance would be signed at league one level and potentially could roll over into promotion.... Or, Donald's pockets as usual.