Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Pavement parking could be banned in England

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Pavement parking could be banned in England

Post by Crawford »

thingamajig wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 00:07
I must admit I am confused.
If it's illegal that's it isn't it?
OK it's slightly complicated:

Highway Code rule 244 has states that drivers "MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London and SHOULD NOT do so elsewhere unless signs permit it."
MUST NOT are the key words, but that's for London.

SHOULD NOT for the rest of the country means it's advisory but the other rules can kick in:
Highway Code rule 242 states: "You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road."

MUST NOT meaning if your car is reported or seen by the police and judged to be either in a dangerous position or causing an unnecessary obstruction of the road then they can act. But no mention of the pavement.

However, the Highways Act of 1835 says driving on to the foot-way has always been banned. So, if you are on the pavement then you must have drove on it and if there are witnesses, there could be a prosecution.

I think these contradictory rules are being looked at because the rules say it's not illegal to park on the pavement in places but you must have drove on it to get into that position which is against the law :headscratch:

blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

Something I never though of Crawford but I think I am a bit clearer now ... I think :lol:

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

blockheed wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 02:45 Something I never though of Crawford but I think I am a bit clearer now ... I think :lol:
It's kind of straightforward as long as you don't cause an obstruction and that probably applies to the footpath too.