Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Covid: Vaccine will 'not return life to normal in spring'

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Covid: Vaccine will 'not return life to normal in spring'

Post by Steve30000 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54371559

Even an effective coronavirus vaccine will not return life to normal in spring, a group of leading scientists has warned.

A vaccine is often seen as the holy grail that will end the pandemic.

But a report, from researchers brought together by the Royal Society, said we needed to be "realistic" about what a vaccine could achieve and when.

Why don't we just exist instead of having a life? 🙄

Kick us while we're down, why not?

Imagine these restrictions being in for life, man. We won't have a life worth living... There'll come a point where people will stick their fingers at the government and say "we've had enough of your rules"

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Covid: Vaccine will 'not return life to normal in spring'

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:11 There'll come a point where people will stick their fingers at the government and say "we've had enough of your rules"
I've not been subjected to their rules yet :lol:
I meet people who are though :whistle:

In the future there will be another pandemic so what will they do then, wrap us in cotton wool again?

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 09:24
Steve30000 wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 06:11 There'll come a point where people will stick their fingers at the government and say "we've had enough of your rules"
I've not been subjected to their rules yet :lol:
I meet people who are though :whistle:

In the future there will be another pandemic so what will they do then, wrap us in cotton wool again?
Probably. Boris said at that conference yesterday that he knows some people just want us to pack it in with these restrictions and let it rip through the country.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 11:54
Probably. Boris said at that conference yesterday that he knows some people just want us to pack it in with these restrictions and let it rip through the country.
[/quote]

In an ideal world that would be fine, you know what they say about nature but I won't repeat that.
The thing is we all knew what to do from the beginning and it's still staring us in the face, lock up the vulnerable as long as necessary and let the rest of us take our chances
You can still wash hands and keep a distance etc but there's no need to shut down the world as long as we are all aware that we could overload the health system and that we should be careful.

I didn't hear Boris but I am sure he doesn't want the NHS overloaded because that wouldn't make sense.
Also, this time during a lockdown they should make plans to protect the mental well-being of people in lockdown too.

PS - if there was the option for me to go into lockdown instead of working I would!

Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Post by Trish »

People will miss these lockdown days :lol:

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Trish wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 14:24 People will miss these lockdown days :lol:
Unless they forget about a vaccine which people think will come like the cavalry and start to learn to live side by side with it, the lockdowns will not end.

Remember that a virus is clever and doesn't want to kill it's host because that would be suicide.
Eventually we will learn to live together, that I can assure you.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 15:13
Trish wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 14:24 People will miss these lockdown days :lol:
Unless they forget about a vaccine which people think will come like the cavalry and start to learn to live side by side with it, the lockdowns will not end.

Remember that a virus is clever and doesn't want to kill it's host because that would be suicide.
Eventually we will learn to live together, that I can assure you.
Astra zeneca may as well close their doors going by your logic on vaccines.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 07:34
But there are so many viruses out there, granted that most are not as highly contagious, however, we are not that clever with making a vaccine for them.
Most vaccines take around 8 years to create from start to finish anyway.
All I am saying is that those who choose to take a vaccine should be prepared for a long wait.

Whoever Astra zeneca are, I have no clue but then again I have no interest in taking a vaccine from them and certainly not if they are going to fast-track it without proper trials.
If I was in a job where you needed a certificate showing a vaccination, I might think about it, but my preference is not to take it.
That's putting it mildly as I don't want a ban again :mrgreen:

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 11:47
Steve30000 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 07:34
But there are so many viruses out there, granted that most are not as highly contagious, however, we are not that clever with making a vaccine for them.
Most vaccines take around 8 years to create from start to finish anyway.
All I am saying is that those who choose to take a vaccine should be prepared for a long wait.

Whoever Astra zeneca are, I have no clue but then again I have no interest in taking a vaccine from them and certainly not if they are going to fast-track it without proper trials.
If I was in a job where you needed a certificate showing a vaccination, I might think about it, but my preference is not to take it.
That's putting it mildly as I don't want a ban again :mrgreen:
In normal times it might take 8 long years, because they're restricted of funds and applicants to apply for trials.

Don't know why people keep trotting this excuse out for. The time is shortened because of the resources they've been given including equipment.

Also, they've been working on coronavirus strains for the last couple of years before this one, so had a head start.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 12:27
In normal times it might take 8 long years, because they're restricted of funds and applicants to apply for trials.
It's not about creating the vaccine because there are scores of these already.
It's all about side effects and long-term effects and a load of other things besides.
That's what takes the longest time.

They don't give people the disease or virus when they do trials but they are thinking about doing that for coronavirus.
Just why, I don't know.
I don't trust them and think there is something underlying in all this (answers on a postcard please).

Who would take a trial vaccine then get a dose of a deadly virus :headscratch:
Anyway, as we know it's not even deadly and only kills off the elderly and people who have other complications - yes it really is just like flu and pneumonia and in some cases is not even as deadly :lol:

Anyway, I don't care because they won't get near me under normal circumstances with their needles :thumbup: