Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Big Teddy Bears

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
User avatar
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 4554
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 19:13
Location: Downhill
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 236 times

Big Teddy Bears

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Haway Father Ted, get them vans of yours off the road or should I say pavement!
Those vans and teddy bears are causing an obstruction for pedestrians.
The police and Sunderland City Council are ignorant to it because it has gone on for a long time now.
The highway code says this:

145. You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34

244. You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

These vans with an extra-large teddy bear on the top are placed in areas with a high volume of traffic to maximise their free publicity.
If the police stop dithering and start placing tickets on the windscreen, then pedestrians will be safer.
Oh, by the way, it's a distraction for the drivers too and often blocks visibility!
The council should also act to stop this free advertising on public land (local by-laws might apply as it differs up and down the country).
This is Sunderland City Council we are talking about so we may as well all go to bed!


User avatar
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 3777
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 20:54
Location: Here
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 15:18 Haway Father Ted, get them vans of yours off the road or should I say pavement!
Those vans and teddy bears are causing an obstruction for pedestrians.
The police and Sunderland City Council are ignorant to it because it has gone on for a long time now.
The highway code says this:

145. You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34

244. You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

These vans with an extra-large teddy bear on the top are placed in areas with a high volume of traffic to maximise their free publicity.
If the police stop dithering and start placing tickets on the windscreen, then pedestrians will be safer.
Oh, by the way, it's a distraction for the drivers too and often blocks visibility!
The council should also act to stop this free advertising on public land (local by-laws might apply as it differs up and down the country).
This is Sunderland City Council we are talking about so we may as well all go to bed!
:goodpost:

This should apply to all businesses doing this, they like to park their vehicles where they like just to get free advertising.
What happened to putting a poster or sign up?


User avatar
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 4554
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 19:13
Location: Downhill
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 236 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 16:55
Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 15:18 Haway Father Ted, get them vans of yours off the road or should I say pavement!
Those vans and teddy bears are causing an obstruction for pedestrians.
The police and Sunderland City Council are ignorant to it because it has gone on for a long time now.
The highway code says this:

145. You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34

244. You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

These vans with an extra-large teddy bear on the top are placed in areas with a high volume of traffic to maximise their free publicity.
If the police stop dithering and start placing tickets on the windscreen, then pedestrians will be safer.
Oh, by the way, it's a distraction for the drivers too and often blocks visibility!
The council should also act to stop this free advertising on public land (local by-laws might apply as it differs up and down the country).
This is Sunderland City Council we are talking about so we may as well all go to bed!
:goodpost:

This should apply to all businesses doing this, they like to park their vehicles where they like just to get free advertising.
What happened to putting a poster or sign up?
I suspect it is illegal but now that Covid restrictions are lifted and most of us are back to work then the authorities should get their act together.
Obviously I have nothing but respect for all businesses but there are ways and means of getting business without leaving abandoned vehicles all over.


User avatar
Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend
Posts: 1632
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 10:55
Location: Crawford Towers
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Crawford »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 15:18
These vans with an extra-large teddy bear on the top are placed in areas with a high volume of traffic to maximise their free publicity.
If the police stop dithering and start placing tickets on the windscreen, then pedestrians will be safer.
They are being ticketed because I've seen it a few weeks ago but I can't remember where that was so it's not all plain sailing for the firm.


User avatar
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 4554
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 19:13
Location: Downhill
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 236 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Crawford wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 19:18
Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 15:18
These vans with an extra-large teddy bear on the top are placed in areas with a high volume of traffic to maximise their free publicity.
If the police stop dithering and start placing tickets on the windscreen, then pedestrians will be safer.
They are being ticketed because I've seen it a few weeks ago but I can't remember where that was so it's not all plain sailing for the firm.
Only right as well because they just look like abandoned vehicles or in other words - a mess.
Haway the coppers!


User avatar
Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 3069
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 10:36
Location: Downhill
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Nockya »

One is always parked outside McDonald's up Farringdon but it looks like the teddy bear is drunk :lolboard:
What did they call the pub that used to be up that way?


User avatar
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 4554
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 19:13
Location: Downhill
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 236 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Nockya wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 20:26 What did they call the pub that used to be up that way?
Damn you, you have me thinking now.
Was it the Double Maxim because it was a Vaux pub?
Or was it just the North Moor?
I would say it was my first one but I can't remember now.


User avatar
Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend
Posts: 1632
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 10:55
Location: Crawford Towers
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Crawford »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 21:08
Was it the Double Maxim because it was a Vaux pub?
It was indeed :cheers:
It was a pub I never visited but always intended to.


User avatar
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 3777
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 20:54
Location: Here
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Steve30000 »

Crawford wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 19:18
Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 15:18
These vans with an extra-large teddy bear on the top are placed in areas with a high volume of traffic to maximise their free publicity.
If the police stop dithering and start placing tickets on the windscreen, then pedestrians will be safer.
They are being ticketed because I've seen it a few weeks ago but I can't remember where that was so it's not all plain sailing for the firm.
Bet it's cheaper to pay the fine, than it is for the paid advertising.
Don't think they'll be that bothered. Only way it'll stop is if they issued points with those fines or warnings that the vehicle will be towed and crushed.


User avatar
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 3777
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 20:54
Location: Here
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: Big Teddy Bears

Post by Steve30000 »

Nockya wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 20:26 One is always parked outside McDonald's up Farringdon but it looks like the teddy bear is drunk :lolboard:
What did they call the pub that used to be up that way?
Looks like their advertising is working though judging by this thread alone, drunk bear 🐻 or not. 😆


Post Reply