Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Cop 26

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Cop 26

Post by Sunderland Nut »

I really hope that the world doesn't flip because if the ice caps melt due to global warming, the Gulf Stream can stop and this will not make the UK warmer, on the contrary!

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 19:07 I really hope that the world doesn't flip because if the ice caps melt due to global warming, the Gulf Stream can stop and this will not make the UK warmer, on the contrary!
Yes, that has happened a few times before and also the oceans can become sterile due to their lack of movement.
The leaders of these countries know this but are insisting that they should have their part of fossil fuel burning to open up their economy.

Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

How come China is grabbing the headlines with their initiative and they were not at the meeting :headscratch:

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Nockya wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 20:27 How come China is grabbing the headlines with their initiative and they were not at the meeting :headscratch:
China holds all the cards I think.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Prof Sir David King, former UK chief scientist, says: "Even if we cut emissions completely we’d still be in a difficult place because of the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere already."

So we're knackered anyway? So what does he suggest? We all go live in caves?

Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 21:09
I know that, I am saying they were not at the Cop 26 meeting unless they came late.
China, India and to some extent Brazil want a stronger economy and will use fossil fuels to make it all happen.
Just don't let them profit from you.
Made in China means you are using fossil fuels to get that product and in many ways including the shipping and those ships are big polluters!

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Nockya wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 09:37
Sunderland Nut wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 21:09
I know that, I am saying they were not at the Cop 26 meeting unless they came late.
China, India and to some extent Brazil want a stronger economy and will use fossil fuels to make it all happen.
Just don't let them profit from you.
Made in China means you are using fossil fuels to get that product and in many ways including the shipping and those ships are big polluters!
Quite a difficult task, I'd say. It's not just the make of the TV or washing machine you could buy from china, you could end up buying a TV not made by China, but still having chips or processers in them made by them.

Maybe if we made our own stuff, we would be able to blanket ban anything they make.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 12:33
Maybe if we made our own stuff, we would be able to blanket ban anything they make.
We closed down our manufacturing industry decades ago.
Our industry now is banking, services and intellectual stuff.
So, they could be making stuff that is a British design but only the owners of the intellectual design profit.

Perhaps the Cop 26 people should have banded together to create an industry not reliant on the cheap Chinese and Indian labour.
That would slow down their reliance on fossil fuels and release us from their grip a little.

Trish
Mayor
Mayor

Post by Trish »

Those countries responsible for burning these fuels for their own benefit are putting many nations under a lot of stress due to rising sea levels such as Bangladesh and many islands.
So, so selfish of them and they should hang their heads in shame.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Trish wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 13:28 Those countries responsible for burning these fuels for their own benefit are putting many nations under a lot of stress due to rising sea levels such as Bangladesh and many islands.
So, so selfish of them and they should hang their heads in shame.
China plans to be the top dog and it will stop at nothing to get there.
Prepare for the worst, am telling ya.

You paid for it by supporting their industry!