Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Stadium of light expansion

Welcome to the SAFC Forum and football lounge. You may chat about Sunderland AFC here together with any other footballing matters. Of course, the Black Cats are the main focus!
Bobby Axe
Wearside Resident
Wearside Resident

Stadium of light expansion

Post by Bobby Axe »

Do people think that extending the stadium was correct or should we have stayed at 42,000?

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Stadium of light expansion

Post by Steve30000 »

Bobby Axe wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 15:28 Do people think that extending the stadium was correct or should we have stayed at 42,000?
We're capable of filling it, so correct decision

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Bobby Axe wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 15:28 Do people think that extending the stadium was correct or should we have stayed at 42,000?
Of course we should have extended the Stadium of Light, we fill it in the Premiership.
It should now be extended further in my opinion.

Nockya
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Nockya »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 04:46
Extending SoL is an easy process but the condition of further capacity was allegedly not going to be considered unless a new bridge was built.

Bluebird
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Bluebird »

Nockya wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 11:14
Extending SoL is an easy process but the condition of further capacity was allegedly not going to be considered unless a new bridge was built.
How come we have dealt with concerts attracting 60,000 inside the Stadium of Light and countless more thousands from outside Sunderland coming in to drop off and pick up etc? I think this is a case of someone making silly rules again because obviously the city's infrastructure can take it. I was stuck in one lot of traffic for about 45 minutes or so one night but I've been in worse jams in the city. I've even been known to be in a traffic jam on Fulwell Road for longer when SAFC played at Roker Park.

It's not that we can't deal with the traffic or congestion because we can. But I would agree that a new bridge will be needed if only to dramatically cut the foot traffic over the Wearmouth Bridge. Some people do ignore the barriers and still insist on walking on the road. That is a known problem which the traffic management are aware of so it is their responsibility to find a solution to that.

The extension would work and we could host many big matches and maybe even fill it ourselves should we get back to the success we had in the pre-1960s. I think the last extension only cost £6m and so if we are limited from what we can spend on the team with their stupid rules, then an extension would be a good investment. That could also lead to more revenue and we could spend more? I'm not sure if that is how it works but I don't think the new owner would spend that sort of money while there are people still hanging on.

Rat Scabies
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Rat Scabies »

Not going to happen.

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 04:46
Of course we should have extended the Stadium of Light, we fill it in the Premiership.
I agree that we should extend SoL because of a load of reasons.
Staging the big football games.
For future concerts.
It helped us in the pandemic to space people out and who knows it could help again this way.
There are other reasons where the club could diversify and use the stadium so it's a yes from me.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Instead of pussyfooting around, they should just extend it to its final capacity and be done with.
The top tiers can be closed if necessary but there is potential for all sorts because the club is really the heart of Sunderland.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Has anyone got an original raincoat they gave out when the north side got an extra tier?

What was that you said again?
blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

thingamajig wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 16:08 Has anyone got an original raincoat they gave out when the north side got an extra tier?
I doubt if they were collectable because they would have given thousands away. I remember them being dished to but can't remember if they had the SAFC logo on them.