Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Drivers who kill could receive life sentences under law reform

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Drivers who kill could receive life sentences under law reform

Post by Steve30000 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61940351

Will it stop drivers speeding? Drivers with loud exhausts backfiring them on purpose to shock pedestrians?

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Drivers who kill could receive life sentences under law reform

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 18:38 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61940351

Will it stop drivers speeding? Drivers with loud exhausts backfiring them on purpose to shock pedestrians?
There are three separate issues here:

The main issue is that new legislation will not stop people under the influence of drink or drugs from getting behind the wheel either.
Just how we deal with that is beyond me unless cars refuse to start unless you take a breath test etc., they will have this technology.

Secondly, no, it will not stop drivers from speeding.
That is something that can easily be sorted out.
Simply by fitting all cars with a limiter and when they enter a 20,40 or 50MPH zone etc., they kick in.
They have the technology for that right now (emergency services can override it, of course!

Thirdly, they do have laws that can stop the loud exhausts.
This comes under section 59 which you can read up on here.
This allows any officer to issue a section 59 which in my case lasted for a year.
It is attached to the car, not the driver so if you sell the car that's it basically.
I've had a section 59 because of a policeman who didn't get his leg over the night before and was being a complete arse.

Basically, section 59 comes under the anti-social behaviour laws while in control of a vehicle.
If you have idiots in your street that mess around in a car, you can have them sorted, it does take time though!

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

The police are doing bugger all about most things.

Bluebird
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Bluebird »

Crawford wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 04:16 The police are doing bugger all about most things.
They don't and that's a fact! But if you state your opinion online that upsets someone, the thought police WILL come to your door. Use the P-word and the coppers will give you a knock. But if you get burgled and you are in a distressed state, don't expect the cops to have any interest whatsoever.

Take into account what I said above and there's much more you can add to those subjects, so why would the police be bothered about what happens on our roads? The police are only interested in one thing and that is an easy life and an even easier conviction. If they can't do anybody there and then, forget it!

Rat Scabies
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Rat Scabies »

You lot are talking about killing off boy racers - leave them alone :lol:

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

Rat Scabies wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 15:24 You lot are talking about killing off boy racers - leave them alone :lol:
Bring back hanging for them lot :lolboard:

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Crawford wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 15:37
Rat Scabies wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 15:24 You lot are talking about killing off boy racers - leave them alone :lol:
Bring back hanging for them lot :lolboard:
The cat would do surely?

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

The electric car will kill them off, surely? How are they going to have loud exhausts when they won't exist? Have speakers on the back imitating the noise? 😆 Sad

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 22:43
Steve30000 wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 18:38 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61940351

There are three separate issues here:

The main issue is that new legislation will not stop people under the influence of drink or drugs from getting behind the wheel either.
Just how we deal with that is beyond me unless cars refuse to start unless you take a breath test etc., they will have this technology.

Secondly, no, it will not stop drivers from speeding.
That is something that can easily be sorted out.
Simply by fitting all cars with a limiter and when they enter a 20,40 or 50MPH zone etc., they kick in.
They have the technology for that right now (emergency services can override it, of course!

Thirdly, they do have laws that can stop the loud exhausts.
This comes under section 59 which you can read up on here.
This allows any officer to issue a section 59 which in my case lasted for a year.
It is attached to the car, not the driver so if you sell the car that's it basically.
I've had a section 59 because of a policeman who didn't get his leg over the night before and was being a complete arse.

Basically, section 59 comes under the anti-social behaviour laws while in control of a vehicle.
If you have idiots in your street that mess around in a car, you can have them sorted, it does take time though!
Speeding leads to people getting knocked over, and limiters can be overridden. Look what people do with scooters for example...they're supposed to have a limiter on that only allows them to do 30mph, but loads of people take it off.

I've seen them doing 50 down the dual carriageway... And most of them have provisional licenses... How the £'-+( is that allowed?

I've had to pass tests, and pay insurance, and they can bomb around at the same speed as me?

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 17:47 limiters can be overridden.
OK then if that is the case they can't fiddle a black box.
I've known a couple who have had their insurance taken off them for driving crap so why don't the police act on that info and get them to court.
It would be easy to use modern-day technology to clean up the roads.