Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Struggle in the Championship

Welcome to the SAFC Forum and football lounge. You may chat about Sunderland AFC here together with any other footballing matters. Of course, the Black Cats are the main focus!
blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Struggle in the Championship

Post by blockheed »

Sorry boys and girls and the other genders that support the lads or whatever gender they want to be known as :lol: but SAFC will struggle in the Championship. From what I've seen in the pre-season friendlies, we do alright and can play but the finishing or what the strikers do with the ball up front is way short of what is necessary. Getting enough goals is going to be the difference. Our only hope is that three other teams are worse than Sunderland!

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Struggle in the Championship

Post by thingamajig »

I would always say the friendlies are just a work-out but I also think we are lacking up front.
I reckon in the early days of the Championship we will just play the one up front.
I can't see the lads getting above mid-table.

What was that you said again?
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

That's got relegation battle etched all over that side.
Need better players in or we're going straight back down

Gambling Man
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Gambling Man »

thingamajig wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 16:57 I reckon in the early days of the Championship we will just play the one up front.
Alex Neil has no other option yet!

Gambling Man
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Gambling Man »

blockheed wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 16:51 Our only hope is that three other teams are worse than Sunderland!
There will be but it will be because we will spend a little come January because we failed to buy before the season starts. Catch up yet again :whistle:

cam
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by cam »

blockheed wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 16:51 Sorry boys and girls and the other genders that support the lads or whatever gender they want to be known as :lol: but SAFC will struggle in the Championship. From what I've seen in the pre-season friendlies, we do alright and can play but the finishing or what the strikers do with the ball up front is way short of what is necessary. Getting enough goals is going to be the difference. Our only hope is that three other teams are worse than Sunderland!
Obviously we will not know for a while yet but I'd say the first five games should give us an idea of what we can do in the higher league.

I might have the day off today!
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

cam wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 17:27
blockheed wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 16:51 Sorry boys and girls and the other genders that support the lads or whatever gender they want to be known as :lol: but SAFC will struggle in the Championship. From what I've seen in the pre-season friendlies, we do alright and can play but the finishing or what the strikers do with the ball up front is way short of what is necessary. Getting enough goals is going to be the difference. Our only hope is that three other teams are worse than Sunderland!
Obviously we will not know for a while yet but I'd say the first five games should give us an idea of what we can do in the higher league.
Considering that this club should be better than even this league, to be facing a relegation battle is a kick in the 🐂

Rat Scabies
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Rat Scabies »

We are a third division team that had a strong finish last season. That in itself says we could struggle. But we just don't know yet. It might be that we are a good Championship side and couldn't handle the third division. We should certainly spend though!