Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Roker Park

Welcome to the SAFC Forum and football lounge. You may chat about Sunderland AFC here together with any other footballing matters. Of course, the Black Cats are the main focus!
Bobby Axe
Wearside Resident
Wearside Resident

Roker Park

Post by Bobby Axe »

Had it been possible to redevelop Roker Park, would you have preferred to stay there or move to the Stadium of Light?

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Roker Park

Post by thingamajig »

Bobby Axe wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 20:04 Had it been possible to redevelop Roker Park, would you have preferred to stay there or move to the Stadium of Light?
Great question and one which I've asked myself over and over.
I remember Roker Park as it was crumbling right to the end with hardly any improvements.
I also remember the first game at the Stadium of Light which was a friendly against Ajax in 1997.

I have to say that I much prefer the Stadium of Light in every way possible now and that Roker Park stadium is a distant memory.

What was that you said again?
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Bobby Axe wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 20:04 Had it been possible to redevelop Roker Park, would you have preferred to stay there or move to the Stadium of Light?
While Roker Park was good in its own way, we moved on and I don't think redeveloping the ground would have been a good move.

Bluebird
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Bluebird »

There's nothing wrong with the Stadium of Light but there were lots of things wrong with Roker Park. Nah, no development needed, Sunderland AFC had to move.

Gambling Man
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Gambling Man »

They could have developed Roker Park but what an upheaval that would have been. The club was right to move.

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

Roker Park would have been too tall for the area had it been redeveloped, it had to go in all reality.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Gambling Man wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 18:06
They could have developed Roker Park but what an upheaval that would have been. The club was right to move.
To be honest, Roker Park stadium was stuck in a densely populated area and should have moved decades earlier.

blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

The toilets in the old Roker End were shocking.