Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

DWP - Being Blamed For Suicide - Fit To Work Assessment

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
wongeye
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by wongeye »

Yesterday, a coroner has determined that a man had killed himself after the DWP decided he was fit for work.

Michael O’Sullivan was a 60-year father from London who suffered from depression.

Despite the opinion of three doctors that his depression was very serious, the Department of Work and Pensions had decided to over rule the opinion of his own GP.

The sanctions imposed by the DWP have reportedly been attributed to the deaths of around 90 people every month since 2011. Sanctions include stopping the benefits of those deeped fit for work by doctors employed by the DWP whose opinion override that of the patients GP's.

The link was never really established between those suicide deaths and the sanctions but yesterdays coroners report has finally proved a direct link.

People are killing themselves after many have paid a lifetime into the system. What is worse is that the opinion of the patients GP's are being ignored.

I personally think this is shocking that benefits can be withheld from sick people in todays Britain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/a-m ... 11436.html

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: DWP - Being Blamed For Suicide - Fit To Work Assessment

Post by thingamajig »

David Cameron has said he will allow tens of thousands of migrants into the UK. Most will no doubt be unqualified and not able to get a job. In fact these migrants or asylum seekers are not supposed to work.

Now then, these poor refugees can come here and suck as much money as they can and be housed with all mod cons. Meanwhile, indigenous people are killing themselves because the British government have employed people to kick sick people off benefits. The very same people who have possibly paid into the system for decades.

We all know someone who has been affected by this. I know an old friend was kicked off the sick. He can't get out the house and has very few visitors. I have helped in a little way by taking a few groceries around but that's as much as I can do. He has gone from a proud man to a weak old man and we are a bit worried about him.

These people in "power" have loads of money and they are picking on the weak. I would not feel as bad if we didn't have a problem with migrants that are sponging from us.

What was that you said again?
blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

I wouldn't argue that we need to assess a few cases. However, why should a doctor who has never knew you throw you off a certain benefit when your own GP who has known you ages says you are unfit for work. Quite baffling really. I understand there are such things as second opinions but I think there is something strange going on judging by what some people have been saying. For starters, I know many people who were claiming sick money and all were thrown off and many went into hardship. Apparently appealing is the way to go so if you have been thrown off just appeal because the first doctor you see automatically kicks you off. They don't listen to you so it looks like they are paid to kick you off. I am not sure about this I am just passing on information I have picked up on the way. But make sure you appeal because the first is going to play deaf whereas the appeal board must listen to you.

Frog
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by Frog »

I wouldn't normally bother about things like this but I do find it alarming that the doctors employed by the DWP are not bothering about the views of the patients GP's. I am not sure what this means actually but it would seem that our GP's are not diagnosing our problems properly ...... or are they?

cam
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by cam »

I think most of us will know someone affected this way.
I have a neighbour who was affected.
Its quite alarming to hear some of the horror stories but what can you do.
Those in power are pulling the purse strings.
I do think that it should be down to your own GP though.
Spare a thought for our family doctors and GP's who must feel awful when their diagnosis or opinions are overturned.
I have my own opinions about what is happening but its all down to the austerity cuts and how the government can save money.
Picking on the vulnerable and allowing these suicides to continue is wrong because we now know the facts and it is happening.
I can offer no solution but do wish the government would investigate the deaths and stop their persecution of the weaker members of our society.

I might have the day off today!
Jackal
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jackal »

This government seem to be penny pinching but are picking on the wrong people surely?

..... and Sunderland, the underdogs, are in the lead!
monty
Local MP
Local MP

Post by monty »

Now that there is a link between the suicide rates and the way the DWP handle things will there be any changes? I doubt not in the near future so next month expect even more suicides. Thanks DWP you really know how to treat the poor, sick and vulnerable. Remember its not just the suicides that are worrying its the effect on those that are abused by the DWP this way. That will be many, many thousands!

Mighty Quinn
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Post by Mighty Quinn »

The government should have a quick rethink on the way they are doing things and act. One suicide is wrong but with the facts and figures given its becoming a tragedy.

cam
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by cam »

Maybe it is a controlled experiment to kill a few people off and lower the debts. I wouldn't be surprised by anything they throw at us.

I might have the day off today!
Bystander
Candidate
Candidate

Post by Bystander »

There are some horror stories and I would agree that one suicide is one too many but lets face it there are some people who should not be on certain benefits. I wouldn't be able to offer a solution but I would agree that the DWP doctors should be mothballed in the short term and retrained properly.