Wearside Online and Sunderland Forum - Your Local Community

UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local issues. For example, national news or any other interests etc.
User avatar
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 2438
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 19:13
Location: Downhill
Top poster of the Month

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Crawford wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 23:23
China is certainly pushing people to the limit.
It will give though.



User avatar
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 2096
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 20:54
Location: Here

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:37
Crawford wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 23:23
China is certainly pushing people to the limit.
It will give though.
I keep hearing that we can't fight back at China because they're so powerful.

Apparently, we've just got to let them crack on with their practices



User avatar
Crawford
Local MP
Local MP
Posts: 567
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 10:55
Location: Crawford Towers

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Crawford »

China can do what they like and we are pretty powerless about this situation.
However, the world is watching and they will not get away with imposing their will over the millions of Hong Kongers.
The UK can fight them economically but it will hardly hurt but the world would join in and that would cripple them.



User avatar
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 2096
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 20:54
Location: Here

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Steve30000 »

Crawford wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:48
China can do what they like and we are pretty powerless about this situation.
However, the world is watching and they will not get away with imposing their will over the millions of Hong Kongers.
The UK can fight them economically but it will hardly hurt but the world would join in and that would cripple them.
They're just bully's.



User avatar
Jenky
Local MP
Local MP
Posts: 880
Joined: 20 Jul 2013, 12:23
Location: Southwick

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Jenky »

Originally I was a bit shocked at us saying we would take in 3 million people :o :shock:
A lot of them do have the right to a British passport so we can't deny that at any time and we should always honour our commitments.

I can only think that by us saying this though, it's not going to happen and the government know this but are only acting this way to annoy the Chinese government.
That being said, we can't just abandon the people in Hong Kong.
What the solution is, I have no idea :headscratch:



User avatar
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 2096
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 20:54
Location: Here

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Steve30000 »

Jenky wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:41
Originally I was a bit shocked at us saying we would take in 3 million people :o :shock:
A lot of them do have the right to a British passport so we can't deny that at any time and we should always honour our commitments.

I can only think that by us saying this though, it's not going to happen and the government know this but are only acting this way to annoy the Chinese government.
That being said, we can't just abandon the people in Hong Kong.
What the solution is, I have no idea :headscratch:
Well, they're not asylum seekers, and as you say they have the right to a British passport, so it's only fair, isn't it?

As long as they're willing to contribute and not come here just to claim dole, I don't see what the problem is.

The uncertainty at the minute though is that we're all struggling for jobs now, there's cuts everywhere because of this virus. 😒

Couldn't have happened at a worse time



User avatar
Jenky
Local MP
Local MP
Posts: 880
Joined: 20 Jul 2013, 12:23
Location: Southwick

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Jenky »

Steve30000 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:51

Couldn't have happened at a worse time
You could say that again @Steve30000



User avatar
Nockya
Mayor
Mayor
Posts: 1486
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 10:36
Location: Downhill

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Nockya »

As those political refugees coming from Hong Kong fly in luxury over the English Channel, I hope they wave at those illegal migrants in rubber dingies below them.



User avatar
thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 2710
Joined: 18 Jul 2013, 18:10
Location: Southwick

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by thingamajig »

Nockya wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:09
As those political refugees coming from Hong Kong fly in luxury over the English Channel, I hope they wave at those illegal migrants in rubber dingies below them.
:nocomment:


What was that you said again?

User avatar
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City
Posts: 2438
Joined: 11 Jan 2015, 19:13
Location: Downhill
Top poster of the Month

Re: UK could give British citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents

Post by Sunderland Nut »

The Chinese government are saying that the UK are interfering with their internal politics :lol:
No, Mr Chinese leader, whoever you are, you are trying to enslave people in your system and we will not allow it.
You have agreements with us and the people of Hong Kong to have one country and two systems.
Here is a reminder for you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_country,_two_systems

There you go Mr Chinese leader, whoever you are :lol:



Post Reply