Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Time to pack in

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Time to pack in

Post by Sunderland Nut »

I'm seriously thinking about packing in my job now and giving notice on Monday.
I can do up to 120 miles a day in Sunderland but these 20mph zones have got to me and I can no longer achieve my targets.
I have a new diesel car and it is hardly out of second gear and I can't continue like this.
I have something similar to a black box in the car so therefore I have to stick by the speed limits.
Many people break them, including taxis, so they will just be as frustrated as me when they are behind.
Thanks, Sunderland Council, you broke me!
I have this in the city lounge as I think it is relevant here.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Time to pack in

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 04:56 I'm seriously thinking about packing in my job now and giving notice on Monday.
I can do up to 120 miles a day in Sunderland but these 20mph zones have got to me and I can no longer achieve my targets.
I have a new diesel car and it is hardly out of second gear and I can't continue like this.
I have something similar to a black box in the car so therefore I have to stick by the speed limits.
Many people break them, including taxis, so they will just be as frustrated as me when they are behind.
Thanks, Sunderland Council, you broke me!
I have this in the city lounge as I think it is relevant here.
Your employer should realise the situation then if they complain about the time it's taking. It's not your fault, is it?

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 21:54
Your employer should realise the situation then if they complain about the time it's taking. It's not your fault, is it?
I am employed and self-employed after finding a niche in the market.
It's only the last month where my arrangements have changed so I am going to have to make adjustments somewhere.
Just imagine travelling at 20mph for the entire length of Pallion, Fort Estate and Pennywell and in second gear :head-banger:
As I say, it won't be long before they have the whole city like this because I can't see them treating one area different from the other.

Taxi drivers are all self-employed as well so they must be feeling it should they be driving in line with these speed limits.
I see some driving carefully but I also see many of them dash about all night at breakneck speeds.
Nah, there's just no need for these speed restrictions at night because they are adding to global warming due to less fuel efficiency and are slowing things down for various businesses.

Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jools »

I wonder how many people are being injured on the roads around the city and whether that's why these zones are being introduced?

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Jools wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 15:16 I wonder how many people are being injured on the roads around the city and whether that's why these zones are being introduced?
Less now than ever, cars are safer and kids just don't play in the streets like we once did.

Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Jools »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 15:48
Jools wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 15:16 I wonder how many people are being injured on the roads around the city and whether that's why these zones are being introduced?
Less now than ever, cars are safer and kids just don't play in the streets like we once did.
Fair point but I'd still like to know the figures though.

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

This is an invite for the council to tell us then.

Maybe they just want to destroy local businesses because if this is having an effect on me then it will have an effect on others, it's bound to!

Mawsey
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Mawsey »

Just keep plodding on until you grind to a halt. That's all you can do really.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Mawsey wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 04:28 Just keep plodding on until you grind to a halt. That's all you can do really.
It literally gets on your nerves so it's no good keeping in this state.
I have to take some form of action to put it right.

thingamajig
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by thingamajig »

Well, you know what's right for you but if you've just started out and this happens then I feel for you.

What was that you said again?