Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Airshow cancelled because the city wants to aim to be carbon neutral

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Airshow cancelled because the city wants to aim to be carbon neutral

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 04:25
Steve30000 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 15:45

https://www.electrive.com/2022/10/22/ev ... -eviation/

It's early, but hopefully they get to make jumbo jets electric
Well, that's what I initially thought you were talking about.
I think we are a long way off an electric jumbo jet though.
I don't think it's that far off. We need to speed the process up otherwise we'll end up destroying the way we want to live.
Cutting down forests, pumping co2 into the air, digging and exploding underground (fracking) and too much farmland and too many animals (methane gasses) is not sustainable.

That's why I think it's laughable that the excuse for cancelling the airshow, that happens once a year, is down to wanting to achieve a carbon zero city.

Close the airports, and stop people from driving petrol and diesel vehicles then...

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

I fully agree that we should be trying to keep carbon emissions down in every way possible but greed will not allow that yet.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Crawford wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 14:53 I fully agree that we should be trying to keep carbon emissions down in every way possible but greed will not allow that yet.
Then we'll all suffer as a result. The only winners in all this are the rich as they'll have the money to build shelters to ensure they're safe when the weather gets worse.

Flooding, raging storms, heat destroying crops, we won't survive it, but it's ok, the rich will have made billions from ripping us off with our electricity and gas prices, and damaged the climate in the process.

It's pure evil imo.

Bluebird
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Bluebird »

Crawford wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 14:53 I fully agree that we should be trying to keep carbon emissions down in every way possible but greed will not allow that yet.
^This. None of us really want to give up on anything so we would have to be forced to. I can't see the economists forcing us to stop buying things. And that's the problem. Buying things we really do not need. As long as there's a market, people will sell. As long as we have money, we will buy. The ones with money are at the top of all this.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Bluebird wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 13:21
^This. None of us really want to give up on anything so we would have to be forced to. I can't see the economists forcing us to stop buying things. And that's the problem. Buying things we really do not need. As long as there's a market, people will sell. As long as we have money, we will buy. The ones with money are at the top of all this.
We won't have to give up on anything though. We can be sustainable at the same time, these big companies choose not to. They can still make money from electric vehicles rather than petrol and diesel... We can still have power through solar, wind and tidal turbines... All I hear are excuses

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

Unfortunately, because of the Ukrainian war, we have realised just how dependent we are on Russia for much of the power we use (not so much in the UK but our prices reflect the global market).
We don't want to give the Russians money so what can we do?
In the short term, we could open the coal mines, give licences out to get oil from the North Sea reserves and legalise fracking.

Okay, Okay, I hear you, that isn't being carbon neutral but the Ukrainian war has given us a kick up the backside.
We need power and we need it now so there isn't much we can do.
Meanwhile, we look for and implement a sustainable energy policy that works.

Gambling Man
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Gambling Man »

This is stupid now. We want power but we don't want to harm the environment :headscratch:

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Gambling Man wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 22:50 This is stupid now. We want power but we don't want to harm the environment :headscratch:
We want everything and we will harm the environment because that's where we get all our resources from.
The best thing is to live a simple life - simples.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Gambling Man wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 22:50 This is stupid now. We want power but we don't want to harm the environment :headscratch:
It IS entirely possible to get our power from renewable sources. I mean, what will it take to knock some sense into these energy companies? I bet they'll change the way they provide power to their customers if it hit them in the pocket.

They don't want to spend money on turbines or solar panels, that's the problem.

We'll all suffer the consequences when the bad extreme weather affects us...

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

The problem is nobody wants windmills all over the country or even out at sea.
I'm not sure but if it was easy then we would have done it all by now?