Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Airshow cancelled because the city wants to aim to be carbon neutral

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Re: Airshow cancelled because the city wants to aim to be carbon neutral

Post by Steve30000 »

Crawford wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 18:49 The problem is nobody wants windmills all over the country or even out at sea.
I'm not sure but if it was easy then we would have done it all by now?
It's either wind turbines or paying through the nose for energy.

And also the fact that our weather will get worse unless we change our destructive ways, unfortunately people will learn the hard way as usual.

And the reason we haven't done it yet is simply because no one wants to spend the money to put the infrastructure there, especially the energy companies, they don't want to spend their billions of profits on people saving money on their bills. That goes against their whole business plan.

They don't care about the planet, if they did they would have improved and implemented the way they produce energy years ago. They're quite content to dig resources out of the ground, and drill under the seabed, then pump that carbon back into the atmosphere.... I mean who cares if we're destroying our planet in the process, as they're making lots of money?

Governments around the world should be putting pressure on them to stop drilling, fracking and mining and get their acts together and change to turbines and solar.

The carbon we pumped out in the 80's is affecting our climate now, so more storms, heat damage, floods, winds...

It's our future kids that will suffer.

blockheed
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by blockheed »

I think it will get worse before it gets better.

Bluebird
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Post by Bluebird »

Gambling Man wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 22:50 This is stupid now. We want power but we don't want to harm the environment :headscratch:
I thought about that and anything we ever use is going to take from Mother Earth isn't it? It's a case of minimising the damage really.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Bluebird wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 10:41
Gambling Man wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 22:50 This is stupid now. We want power but we don't want to harm the environment :headscratch:
I thought about that and anything we ever use is going to take from Mother Earth isn't it? It's a case of minimising the damage really.
Wind is free, so is the sun... That's not taking up any resources at all

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

That's very true but we should have the boffins make things that will last for decades with no maintenance.
Nuclear power or its successor is the only real way to go at this time but they take years to build.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 12:55

That's very true but we should have the boffins make things that will last for decades with no maintenance.
Nuclear power or its successor is the only real way to go at this time but they take years to build.
Solar doesn't take years. Neither does tidal power

We can use tidal energy to supply electricity to our homes and businesses. We can use tidal energy in some places instead of burning coal and oil that contribute to global warming. Tidal generators (or turbines) work like wind turbines, except it is ocean currents, not wind, that turns them.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Well, there doesn't appear to be any enthusiasm from anyone on this score, politicians or environmentalists so I take it is all just talk.