Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Sweden and herd immunity

The Sunderland Forum deals with all local issues in the chat rooms above. However, this is the General Off Topic Forum. So, this area is for all non-local-issues, for example, national news or any other interests etc.
Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Sweden and herd immunity

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Apparently, Sweden is one of the only countries in the world that is not in lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Instead, they are doing what the UK was going to do earlier on - in other words, allow it to run it's course.
OK they are a few weeks behind us and maybe they will change their opinion soon but right now everyone can mingle as before with no restrictions, just a little advice.

The UK should have done the herd immunity thing but we bottled it.
We could have done what we have now, protected the vulnerable and anyone else who was wanted to avoid it and just let the Coronavirus do it's job.
Before the doubters jump in, I did say that those wanting to cower away from it could do so!

I know loads who don't like this lockdown and don't want the nanny state to take over, just loads.
Yes, the odd one might die but it's the chance you take and most people I know would take that chance.
As long as the vulnerable and the chickens are protected, the country could have continued as before, albeit on three wheels.

Well done to Sweden.
If it continues and works over there, then we missed an opportunity.
We will just have to wait and see whose strategy works.

The only reason why we are not doing what Sweden is doing is because our NHS would have crumbled under pressure.

red ken
Local Councillor
Local Councillor

Re: Sweden and herd immunity

Post by red ken »

Sweden will have no option but to have a lockdown soon. I have no idea of who runs the country over there but say there is a high death rate in such a small country, say 100,000. Which leader could survive that? They will act soon.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

red ken wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:00 They will act soon.
I would say so.

Bus Driver
Local MP
Local MP

Post by Bus Driver »

They do have advice but unlike the rest of the world it's up to the public if they want to act on it or not.

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by Crawford »

I can't see Sweden ignoring the fatalities around the world.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Crawford wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 02:40 I can't see Sweden ignoring the fatalities around the world.
Me neither but it's their decision and we should applaud them if it actually proves better than our way.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 21:37
Crawford wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 02:40 I can't see Sweden ignoring the fatalities around the world.
Me neither but it's their decision and we should applaud them if it actually proves better than our way.
Gives those who only care about money a stick to beat the government with, if their strategy works.

They'll probably change their minds, if the death rates get out of control though.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 10:57
They'll probably change their minds, if the death rates get out of control though.
You would think so.

thingamajig

Post by thingamajig »

Who are we to interfere with thier internal affairs, if they want to die so be it.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

thingamajig wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 19:08 Who are we to interfere with thier internal affairs, if they want to die so be it.
It's not that they want to die is it haway.
Just take a look at what's happening in most countries now.
It's as if the coronavirus was released in order to turn all countries into police states.
Sweden has allowed people to do as they please but they have still got rules and guidelines it's just that they are not using the police like we are.

I am in two minds nowadays.
I believed in taking it on the chin at first but after seeing so many die, I am not so sure.