Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Why are more drivers parking on zig zag lines now?

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Why are more drivers parking on zig zag lines now?

Post by Steve30000 »

Loads are doing it, do they realise that it's not like a yellow line offense?
It's a 3 point penalty on your license... How some people pass their tests thinking this is acceptable is astounding

Crawford
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Why are more drivers parking on zig zag lines now?

Post by Crawford »

It's just our overall standards nowadays.
Everything has had a massive switch backwards!

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Crawford wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 14:51 It's just our overall standards nowadays.
It blocks the view of pedestrians using the crossing. If someone gets run over because of their laziness they'll be partly liable.
Insurance companies aren't likely to pay out either, but at least they can park closer to the shops though, that's what matters, not the fact that they're blocking the view of other drivers going past them...

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Crawford wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 14:51 It's just our overall standards nowadays.
I agree with this because it looks like people are being dumbed down in general.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

Steve30000 wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 20:15 It blocks the view of pedestrians using the crossing. If someone gets run over because of their laziness they'll be partly liable.
Insurance companies aren't likely to pay out either, but at least they can park closer to the shops though, that's what matters, not the fact that they're blocking the view of other drivers going past them...
I kid you not, I saw a driver of Asian origin park across a Zebra Crossing so he could collect something from the shop.
On this occasion, I left my phone in the car so I couldn't take a picture of it for those Tw4t parking posts.
I don't know the legal side of things, but I would think the offender will be in a lot of bother, but, and this is a big BUT, drivers should see the hazard and act accordingly to avoid accidents.
I think @Crawford hit the nail on the head when he said standards are dropping.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 11:14
Steve30000 wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 20:15 It blocks the view of pedestrians using the crossing. If someone gets run over because of their laziness they'll be partly liable.
I kid you not, I saw a driver of Asian origin park across a Zebra Crossing so he could collect something from the shop.
On this occasion, I left my phone in the car so I couldn't take a picture of it for those Tw4t parking posts.
I don't know the legal side of things, but I would think the offender will be in a lot of bother, but, and this is a big BUT, drivers should see the hazard and act accordingly to avoid accidents.
I think @Crawford hit the nail on the head when he said standards are dropping.
Those zig zag lines are there for a reason, regardless of wether other drivers are capable of seeing the hazard in their way and avoid it.
Simple fact is, no one should be parking on there...ever... The police should throw the book at them whenever they catch them doing it.
They're there for pedestrian safety, not for a drivers convenience in getting some chocolate from a shop...

There should be a zero tolerance towards it, drivers should stop being thick and read the highway code, you know, the book that they're supposed to read before passing their test.

Sunderland Nut
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Sunderland Nut »

I think the law is highlighted in red but the rest is just rules.

Steve30000
Freedom of the City
Freedom of the City

Post by Steve30000 »

Sunderland Nut wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 02:49 I think the law is highlighted in red but the rest is just rules.
Rule 191
You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

Laws RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD schedule 14 parts 1 and 5

There's some discrepancy regarding who controls and enforces these rules as well though, that's how drivers are getting away with parking on them without getting points from the police.

Some are enforced by the local council and some are by the police.
Ridiculous, but I suppose that's why more drivers are doing it brazenly, knowing they'll just get a daft fine.